Satisfaction

This week, I read an interesting article published by The Atlantic titled: How Wanting Less Leads to Satisfaction. The author describes the "hedonic treadmill", the perpetual desire for more, that all humans experience. He goes on to share about how though we cannot fully escape this part of the human condition, we can keep it in check. By doing so, he believes we find more satisfaction in life:

"The secret to satisfaction is not to increase our haves- that will never work (or at least, it will never last). That is the treadmill formula, not the satisfaction formula. The secret is to manage our wants. By managing what we want instead of what we have, we give ourselves a chance to lead more satisfied lives."

I often find my professional life to be very rewarding. Outside of work though, I sometimes don't even realize I'm hitting that treadmill hard. What fills me up though, and gets me off the treadmill, is volunteering with animals. I feel called to care for the most vulnerable beings.

In these moments, any of my seemingly small annoyances of life are replaced with perspective. And so. much. joy. It's pretty fun (and dirty!) working with these guys: Puget Sound Goat Rescue, who work with goats who would have otherwise been slaughtered or could not be sold; and SR3, a rehabilitation facility funded by NOAA that works with marine mammals, primarily gray harbor seals.




And recently,  my employer has allowed me to explore the potential of combining these two passions. I'm researching and hoping to develop a canine therapy program at our Cancer Institute! 


Aulani, therapy doggo :) 
 
Following our passions, volunteering, learning and traveling, are positive experiences that are satisfying. But, ultimately even altruistic things do not permanently satisfy us. I'd like to believe when we take the focus off of our endless 'wants' though, we can live more fulfilled, satisfied lives. I'd love to hear what might inspire you to hop off the treadmill, even if for just a few minutes. 

 xx,

Comments

Popular Posts