2022: Unashamed

“I hope that in this year to come, you make mistakes.

Because if you are making mistakes, then you are making new things, trying new things, learning, living, pushing yourself, changing yourself, changing your world. You're doing things you've never done before, and more importantly, you're doing something.

So that's my wish for you, and all of us, and my wish for myself. Make new mistakes. Make glorious, amazing mistakes. Make mistakes nobody's ever made before. Don't freeze, don't stop, don't worry that it isn't good enough, or it isn't perfect, whatever it is: art, or love, or work or family or life.

Whatever it is you're scared of doing, do it. Make your mistakes, next year and forever.” 

- Neil Gaiman 




Each new year, I reflect about the year ahead and what I'd like to see happen or accomplish. I'm not a fan of viewing it as 'resolutions', but rather as intentions. Recently, a theme popped up for me, which is encompassed in the word unashamed. To be unashamed to make mistakes and try new things.

Generally speaking, I'd say I'm open to trying most things at least once. But how about twice? Sometimes I stop trying at something when I feel that I'm not getting good at it; but maybe I'm missing out on the gloriousness that exists when we give ourselves permission to enjoy doing things  imperfectly. We can miss out on the richness of life when we set an expectation beyond just relishing in the fact that we have the ability to just experience.

This year, my intention is to live unashamedly. To learn to snowboard despite that fact that its harder to learn such things over 30.  To try stand-up paddleboard yoga (& likely fall into the water) just because I can and it's fun. To learn from mistakes professionally, because that's how we can grow as clinicians. To hone in on finances and savings even though there are some really big words involved 😂. 

What things would you do this year unashamedly? 

xx





Comments

Popular Posts